Finishing Your Degree

Besides finishing up all the required coursework for the MPA and MPP programs, there are a few additional graduation checklist items to consider:

  1. Completing your GradPath forms
  2. Submitting a response to the MPA or MPP Exit Survey
  3. Ensuring you will receive the diploma
  4. RSVPing for a graduation ceremony (available only in May)



All master's students have 4 GradPath forms; the first 3 need to be completed by the student, the last form is submitted by the Graduate Programs Manager.  All forms can be found in the GradPath system, located in your UAccess Student Center. To navigate to GradPath Forms, use the drop-down menu from the Advising tab and then select "GradPath Forms".

GradPath forms to complete (in order of appearance):

  1. Responsible Conduct of Research Statement. Every student is required to complete this form. Once this is submitted you will be able to access the Plan of Study.
  2. Master's Plan of Study. Click on 'Create New'; update your Expected Graduation Term (if necessary) and then search for your major advisor (faculty advisor).  This should be the Program Director.
    • Click "Get Enrollments" to populate courses you have completed to your Plan of Study. Only add the coursework that is necessary to fulfill the degree requirements. Use the "Future Coursework" button to find and add courses you plan to complete in the future.
      • Example 1: The MPA program requies 8 core (24 units), 4 electives (12 units), internship (3 units), and capstone (3 units).
      • Example 2: The MPP program requires 8 core (24 units), 5 electives (15 units) and capstone (3 units).
    • If you have transfer coursework, you must have the GradPath Transfer Credit Evaluation form approved prior to adding that coursework to the Plan of Study. Transfer coursework must be pre-approved by the Program Director.
    • Once submitted, your form will route electronically to the Graduate Programs Manager, Major Advisor, Director of Graduate Studies and the Graduate College Degree Auditor for approval.
    • Upon initial approval at the Graduate College, you will be charged $35 candidacy fees.  This pays for the creation and shipment of the diploma.  If you are in multiple graduate degree programs, you will be charged $35 per degree.
  3. Master's/Specialist Committee Appointment Form. Once your Plan of Study has been approved by all reviewers, this form will become available. Click on 'Create New'; answer 'no' to the committee question (this will auto-fill the form with your major advisor's information). When you submit this form it will again be routed to your department and the Graduate College for approval.
  4. Master's/Specialist Completion Confirmation. This form will be submitted by your Graduate Programs Manager at the end of your final semester of study. In order for this form to be submitted to the Graduate College: (1) the above three forms must be complete and have an 'approved' status, (2) all final grades for the semester must be posted in UAccess, and (3) a final cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher must be recorded in UAccess.


MPA or MPA Exit Survey

As the semester comes to a close, please consider submitting a response to the MPA or MPP Exit Survey.  The survey is a very important piece of each program in order to maintain proper accreditation through the University of Arizona and help us continually improve each program.

Links to these surveys will be sent via email in April (for spring/summer graduates) and November (fall graduates) of each year.


Diploma and Final Transcript Information

The diploma will be shipped to either your permanent or diploma address.  Please make sure that your permanent address is correct in UAccess Student Center as this is the default address to which the diploma will be sent.  If your permanent address is incorrect, you may add a 'diploma address' instead in UAccess or correct the permanent address in person at the Registrar's Office. 

Reasons for not receiving your diploma:

  1. You have a hold on your student account - this usually caused by a past due balance.
  2. You do not have a permanent or diploma address indicated in UAccess.
  3. Your permanent address is incorrect; thus, the diploma was shipped to the wrong address.

After all final grades are posted in UAccess, all GradPath forms are complete and your cumulative GPA is a 3.0 or better, the Graduate College Degree Auditor/Counselor will award your degree.  Please be patient during the degree awarding process.  The Graduate Student Academic Services (GSAS) Office is extremely busy during graduation time and will award your degree as soon as possible.

Diplomas are not handed out at commencement or convocation ceremonies, nor issued by the Graduate College or SGPP.  All diplomas are created by the Michael Sutter Company (located in Utah) and shipped to your permanent or diploma address about a month after degree awarding. Once your diploma is shipped, you will be notified via email (usually to your CatMail account); e-diplomas are available for download after the email notification as well.

Proof of degree completion will also appear on your final transcript.  Please check your unofficial transcript in UAccess before requesting a final official transcript from the Registrar's Office.

If your diploma has not been awarded 2-3 months after the semester, it could be due to one or more of the following examples:

  1. Your GradPath forms are not complete, or the Plan of Study needs to be updated.
  2. You have grades pending in UAccess - this includes incomplete grades.
  3. You have the incorrect Expected Graduation Term (EGT) indicated in UAccess.


Graduation Ceremonies

All graduation ceremonies are optional to attend.  Regalia must be purchased and worn at the following:

  • SGPP Graduate Programs Convocation - Saturday, May 13th
    • The School of Government and Public Policy offers a private ceremony once per year in May for their respective graduate programs.  All expected graduates for Spring and Summer 2023, and graduates from Fall 2022 are welcome to attend. All graduates in attendance are recognized by name and hooded by their program's director or faculty advisors.
    • RSVP is required by April 28th (link was sent to eligible graduates in mid March). Please contact Elizabeth Santander at for questions.


  • SBS Graduate Convocation - Monday, May 15th
    • The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences ceremony is held once per year in May for all graduate programs held within their respective departments. Each student will be recognized individually and departmental representation will be in attendance. All expected graduates for Spring, Summer and Fall 2023, and graduates from Summer and Fall 2022 are welcome to attend. All graduates in attendance are recognized by name and hooded by a faculty advisor.
    • RSVP is required by April 24th.


  • University of Arizona Commencement - Friday, May 12th
    • The University-wide commencement ceremony at Arizona Stadium is held once per year in May. All expected graduates for Spring, Summer and Fall 2023, and graduates from Fall 2022 are welcome to attend.
    • RSVP is required by May 5th.


Additional ceremonies and convocations can be found at


Regalia and Additional Graduation Items

Regalia, diploma frames, class rings and additional graduation items can be purchased from the UA Bookstore.

  • When purchasing a Master's Hood, please select "Masters/Public Admin/Ming Blue".
    • Please note the Bookstore may hand you a color that indicates "Peacock", which is the same.
  • If you are purchasing a College Stole of Gratitude, please select "White/Soc Behavior Sci".